The Firstling/Erstling/He Complex
Reading The Firstling/Erstling/He Complex in the Versioning Machine
More information on the Verioning Machine (VM) can be found at http://v-machine.org. More information on how the VM is being used in this project can be found on the "About the project" page.
- Alternate choices: Alternative choices are indicated in the text with dashes under words (e.g., ). By hovering over dashed words, readers can view alternative choices for a given textual moment. See Figure 3 in the introduction
for an example.
- Line and "chunk" comparisons: Readers can view comparisons between lines or "chunks" of text by clicking on words or phrases.
- Manuscript images: Thumbnails are links to larger images that readers can move around for best placement.
- Notes:: Notes by the author that appear on particular versions are marked with an "a"; critical notes by the editors are marked with a "c". Longer notes such as "Note 1.7" and "Note 5.3 (recto + verso)" appear in a separate panel.
- Recto and verso: All verso pages are noted with "verso" in the Witness List.
- Version comparison: Readers can open new version panels by clicking on the button "new version" in the menu bar. New Versions will appear in
order, scrolling to the right. Readers can reorder versions by choosing a new "Witness" in the dropdown box at the top of
- Translations: Translations are marked in the Witness List with "translation." These are numbered in the same fashion as the original texts
and are not accompanied by images.
- Typescripts: Typescripts are marked in the Witness List with "typescript."
- Untitled versions: Untitled witnesses are marked with brackets in the Witness List (e.g., "[Firstling] 1.1")